Melanie Brown, Regional Ombudsman
Advocating for residents in long-term care or assisted living.
NARCOG's Regional Ombudsman is an advocate who works to improve the quality of life and protect the health, safety, welfare, and rights of residents living in long-term care and assisted living facilities.
Ombudsman Program Services
An Ombudsman's job is to protect the rights of residents and ensure that residents receive fair treatment and quality care by:
- Investigating and resolving complaints
- Visit each facility to evaluate conditions
- Ensure residents are receiving the legal, financial, social, rehabilitative and other services to which they are entitled
- Acting as a mediator between residents, family members and facility staff
- Providing information to the public
- Educating residents, families and facility staff abount residents' rights
- Assisting with the establishment of resident and family councils,
- Representing residents' interests before state and federal government by working to change laws, regualtions and policies that affect who live in long-term care facilities
Long-Term Care Online Resources
Comprehensive information on and planning tools for long-term care, as well as links to data on nursing home performance in Alabama and across the U.S.
AL Department of Public Health
Access to the Alabama Department of Public Health Statement of Deficiencies Reports of Health Care Facilities surveyor/inspection reports for nursing home facilities.
Get In Touch With Our Regional Ombudsman