Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP)
What is SMP?
The Alabama Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) can help you avoid falling victim to health care fraud. Medical providers, durable medical equipment providers and telemarketers may all perpetrate fraud. Our goal is to help you Protect, Detect, and Report.
If you believe you are a victim of Medicare fraud, call our SMP at 256-355-4515, ext. 245. We can help!
- Treat your Medicare and Social Security numbers like your credit cards. Never give these numbers to a stranger.
- Remember, Medicare won't call to ask for your Medicare number.
- Don't carry your Medicare card unless you'll need it for a doctor's appointment.
- Keep a record of your medical visits, tests, and procedures in a health care journal or calendar.
- Save your Medicare statements, such as Medicare Summary Notices and Explanations of Benefits.
- Review your Medicare statements for mistakes by comparing them to your personal records.
- Look for three things on your Medicare statements:
- Charges for something you didn't get
- Billing for the same services or supplies twice
- Services that weren't ordered by your doctor
- If you receive a suspicious call, don't give out any personal information. Report the call immediately to your local SMP.
- If you have questions about your Medicare statements, call your health care provider or plan.
- If you're not comfortable calling your health care provider or you're not satisfied with the response, call your local SMP. All conversations are confidential.
Get In Touch With Our SMP Coordinator